September 22, 2009

September 22 - Fire drill and the return of Annoyance

I accomplished nothing this weekend, so clearly I’m already using this blog as an obligation that keeps me from doing things that might be considered more important. It’s not like reading the books for graduate school is that important anyways. Enough about today, though, let’s read about the days of yore!

Sixth Grade Journal – September 22, 1994
Today I have Advanced Youth Education1 at 3:302.

1For the sake of clarity: Ashland Youth Education was an after school program where I basically sat in front of a computer for an hour looking at educational CD’s and taking quizzes. Other than it’s connection to Ben Jackson, who I’ll have to talk about later, it seemed like a silly waste of time.
2As before, my assumption is that this topic simply asked us to write about what we were doing after school. I find it strange that this topic only seemed to appear on the days that I had Ashland Youth Education. Coincidence?

BONUS ENTRY: Third Grade Journal – August 28, 1991
Today is August 28 Today we had a fire drill3. also me and Sean and Mark and Derrick and Kevin vs Jole and Rusty and Mathew and Jack and we won 40 to 0 and we only played for 20 minutes4. wow! becase every time that they passed the ball my team intersepped they ball or they would miss the ball and Derrik would jump on it5!

3Excitement.
4I can only assume that we were playing some game that was vaguely like football.
5Yes, a football-esque game with strange free-for-all interception rules. No such thing as an incomplete pass on this playground, no sir.

BONUS ENTRY: Eighth Grade Journal – August 30, 1996 (continued)
A Low Rumbling Woke Me In The Middle Of The Night6. “What Was That?” I Said. Everyone Else Was Asleep. “I Don’t Know.” Two Voices Said From The Corner. Then Luan And Nate Stepped Into The Small Amount Of Light. “I Thought You Guys Were Asleep!” I Said. Then Luan Turned Into KnightBringer. “What The Heck?!?” Luan Said In His Magic Form. “Let’s Go See What That Noise Was.” Nate Said. I Picked Up Luan And Went Outside7. Soon Five Or Six Guys With Swords Surrounded Us8. “They’re Attacking Us Pretty Late, What Time Is It9?” Nate Asked. He Drew His Sword. “It’s About Midnight10.” I Said. Then Luan Started Vibrating11. Six Beams Shot Out His Spikes. They Hit Each Person In The Face (Including Nate But Not Me12).

6Last we left off, I made note of how cool I was after learning that one of my friends had gained the ability to turn into a mace. Admit it, you’re enthralled.
7There’s no way to explain this to make it sound normal. Actually, it’s probably less strange if my friend can’t change into a mace and I’m just carrying him around in human form.
8Five or six? Not concerned with accuracy, I see.
9Clearly past the limit for attacking strangers in a fantasy story. Seriously, this line amuses the hell out of me.
10If you’re asking for an album recommendation, Round About Midnight by Miles Davis is a delight.
11I wasn’t sure it could get weirder until…now.
12Because I’m cool and have a shield for that kind of thing. Don’t ever try to hit me in the face with beams shot from the spikes of a mace. Don’t waste your time.

Twelve footnotes means a new record! This is an exciting development, so make sure to read this blog regularly and tell everyone you know about it. Huzzah!

2 comments:

  1. I'd like to point out that although you won 40-0, you also had an extra player. I'm not certain that you were playing by the official rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, I must be remembering it incorrectly. I'm almost certain that they have one or two or a dozen more players than we did. Otherwise, it doesn't seem particularly heroic at all.

    ReplyDelete