September 19, 2009

September 19 - Now believe that

Again, this date only has one concordant entry, so I’m providing you with some extra entries for your enjoyment. I have offered an entry from a more recent, non-school-related journal as a short break from the Annoyance updates. It is the one journal I kept outside of class that I still have, and it consists of sixty-four pages written over the course of five years. The entries in this journal are often lengthy, rambling, and somehow even less important than the entries in my third grade journal, so I won’t reproduce them here in full unless particularly noteworthy. The tone of the journal is generally crappy, continuing the “regret” trend that has developed, so its appearance here will only be occasional on days to give a break from the better journals. It also serves the purpose of balancing the silliness of my earlier journals with melodrama. We’ll see how it turns out. I hope you can still enjoy this little experiment.

Sixth Grade Journal – September 19, 1994
It really bugs me when Joe1 won’t shut-up and when Joe bugs the crap out of people2.

1I don’t specifically remember Joe, but I seem to recall that he was just your standard “trouble making” kid who would disrupt class a lot. Apparently I believed that he did so by “bugging the crap out of people.”
2Next to this part, my teacher wrote, “What does Joe do that bugs people?” This strikes me as strange, since the only real memory I have regarding Joe involves Mrs Robertson asking him to leave the room so that she could tell us how to deal with his disruptive attitude.

BONUS ENTRY: Third Grade Journal – August 26, 1991
Today when I whoke up my leg was hurting realy bad. it still hurts now believe that3. but I think it is gone no it isn’t gone!

3Even eight year old Guy knew you would be incredulous. Believe that!
4Beyond the epic suspense crafted here, I love the idea that my leg apparently still hurt even though I thought it was gone. Did I have to check or something? This is like a scene from the movie Airplane or something.

BONUS ENTRY: “Life” Journal – February 26, 2003
Well, I don’t have a lot of hope for this journal. With any luck, I’ll be able to put down my thoughts and have them for later examination5.
Sometimes when I think of my past and who I used to be, I wonder if I used to be a lot smarter than I am now. That sucks to actually see written, because it’s like I’m admitting that I’m as good/smart as I once was. School is another matter. The advisors at Marshall are forcing me to retake every course I received a C (or worse) in at Tulane. At the same time. What kind of sense does that make6? Bring me home from my first academic failure so that I can be set up for another fall. Awesome plan, guys7!

5Clearly a tiny bit of that latent optimism still remained after high school and the beginning of college. This is officially an uplifting narrative.
6This is one entry I can still relate to pretty easily. The policy at Marshall is to force a transferring student to repeat every class on his/her transcript with a C, D, or F before allowing the person to take other classes pursuing a degree. Pretty silly if you ask me.
7I admit that I came into the “everyone is against me and wants me to fail” part of my life a little later than most.

Hope that all of you who read this have a nice weekend. The update planned for tomorrow is fascinating to me, so I hope you’ll come back again. Tell your friends!

3 comments:

  1. Though the most recent journal is less funny than the others it's a nice change of pace. I agree that Marshall's policy is kinda dumb but that what you get with bureaucracy, I guess. Believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly Mrs. Robertson wants you to expand a little on your thoughts. I've taught my share of sixth grade and you'd get an F from me for that poor level of effort!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I taught a little bit of sixth grade myself, and these entries are monumental compared to about 80% of the effort I witnessed.

    ReplyDelete