October 5, 2009

October 5 - An interview with Bobby

As you read this, know that today I am doing nothing but completing Spanish homework, reading crummy books and novels, and getting my teeth cleaned at the dentist. See, things aren’t going so badly for you. Keep that chin up!


Third Grade Journal –
October 5, 1991
Dear Bobby1
Have you seen the Super? no2 if you haven’t you have to see it, because it is really good3. What is your favorite tv show inspector gadget4 What is your favorite song no answer What is your favorite video games no answer5

1This entry takes the form of a questionnaire. I remember making these questions with someone else (although I don’t remember who) and then asking them to this kid Bobby who was in my class. It’s a very complex arrangement.
2I have underlined the answers Bobby gave because I left little sections in the journal to write in his responses.
3This is a lie.
4I’m a cool guy, so I recognize how awesome Inspector Gadget is. However, I remember laughing (hopefully later) because I felt that I was already too old to watch that show. Sorry Bobby.
5I remember Bobby slightly because he was quiet and never seemed to talk to anyone. We were in the same class throughout all of elementary school, but I only have two memories of him: this “interview” and a freak-out he had in sixth grade when the teacher was out of the room. This is a strange gray area because I remember always trying to be nice to him but since I was one of the targets of his freak-out, maybe that wasn’t the case.


Fifth Grade ALP Journal –
October 5, 1993
Today I played football6, I was center7. We played the stock-market game8!

6I don’t remember ever playing football at ALP, if only because there wasn’t really a field to play in. There was one ravine behind the middle school, but it had trees everywhere and wasn’t level. Not ideal.
7This was very common during my elementary school years. I wasn’t always the biggest kid in class, but I could run the center sneak like no one else ever. Of course, later I learned that the center sneak wasn’t a legitimate, “legal” football play. What a crushing blow.
8I told you the stock market game was exciting. Don’t worry, this isn’t its last appearance.


BONUS ENTRY:
Eighth Grade Journal – August 30, 1996 (continued)
“What The Heck…..” Kelleman Said9. I Quickly Bashed Him In The Face With My Staff. He Flew Into The Wall. I Picked Up Another Staff. “C’Mon Son10!” I Yelled To Brad. He Picked Up A Huge Sword. I Ran At Brad And Blocked His Sword And Racked Him Over The Head. “Crap!” He Said11. I Threw Down My Staffs. Brad Dropped His Sword And Ran. Chris Stayed. He Took Off Seconds Later12. Looking Back To See If I Was Chasing Him, He Didn’t See Ishbu. “Headbutt Almighty13!” Ishbu Spun And Headbutted Kelleman In The Back. “AAAHH!” Kelleman Yelled. He Fell to The Ground.

9Last time we checked in on Annoyance, I had brought two of my enemies into a so-called “battlezone” and demonstrated the worthiness of my staff. Exciting stuff.
10Referring to people as “son” was one of favorite things to call people at the time. It later backfired in a memorable incident at a Quick Recall meet, but we’re likely to get to that later.
11A sensible reaction.
12So much for Chris staying. Sometimes this shit is truly hilarious to me.
13Seriously, I hate you Ishbu.

2 comments:

  1. I believe we were on the same stock market game team. It's a very hazy memory.

    No comment on the whole hitting Kelleman in the face thing? Wow.

    I also have a distinct memory of the quick recall meet in question.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm very certain that you remember the quick recall meet in question. It would be difficult to forget.

    And yes, no comment about hitting Kelleman in the face. Sometimes a moment of such pure pleasure needs to stand on its own.

    ReplyDelete