April 9, 2010

April 9, 2010 - But he wears glasses like me

Third Grade Journal – March 22, 1992

Atlanta Hawks is today’s player1 team of the day. On their team is Dominique Wilkens2. His number is 21. He is very good. He has won two slam-dunk titles3.


1At first this seems like a typo, but I’ll let you decide which it was supposed to be.

2That is, Dominique Wilkins.

3Very true. This is an important omission from the previous entry that was more clearly dedicated to the stylings of Mr Wilkins. I mean, the guy beat both Jordan and Julius Erving in 1985, and was robbed against Spud Webb. But I’m sure you already knew that.



Third Grade Journal – March 26, 1992

Today’s team of the day is the Detroit Pistons. Isiah Thomas4 plays for the Pistons. His number is eleven. He is5


4I was all set to fix this typo, but apparently it is “Isiah” and not “Isaiah.” You don’t always see riffs on Biblical names like that.

5Another case of my former self having oh so much more to say and simply running out of space and/or time. Tragic.



Third Grade Journal – March 31, 1992

Today’s team of the day the Chicago Bulls. One of the best players is Scotty Pippen6. He is very good7. The 3rd Best Player is Horace Grant. He is good too. But He wears glasses like me8. The best player is Micheal9 Jordan he is 100% owesom10 he has won two slamdunks titles.


6That is, Scottie Pippen. Also not to be confused with Scottie Pippien.

7Whoa whoa whoa. You’re just going to mention Scottie (for a second time, no less) without mentioning his participation in the 1990 slam dunk contest? For shame. I mean I know he came in fifth place out of eight contestants, but still.

8I love the “but” here. It can only mean that I felt that Horace was somehow good in spite of his glasses. Could I have really been that self-deprecating when I was eight years old?

9That is, Michael. For the longest time the name “Michael” just looked wrong to me because I didn’t understand how you could put an “a” before an “e.” I guess I got over it.

10But not necessarily in the same way that Manute Bol was. In case you can’t tell by the fact that I had “player of the day” entries featuring Pippen and Grant but none featuring Jordan, I was a bit of a hater in those days. Actually, I’m pretty much still a hater now, only I’ve moved on to LeBron James.



Third Grade Journal – April 6, 1992

Today’s team of the day is the Houston Rockets. Hakeem Olajuwon11 plays for them. He is first place is blocks12. Eric “Sleepy” Floyd is very good13.


11Of all the names to spell correctly. I’ll say it again: what a kid.

12Olajuwon was actually second in blocks during the 1991-92 season even though he had the second highest per-game average of his career. He finished just one block behind David Robinson for the season. Pretty brutal.

13I’m not sure I knew or even knew who Eric Floyd actually was. I am sure, however, that he wasn’t “very good.” Averaging 9.1 points per game (as he did for the 1991-92 season) and getting nickname because of your penchant for falling asleep during games is not what I would call a particularly strong showing or legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment