January 19, 2010

January 19 - Sixth Grade Bonanza (part three)

Sixth Grade Journal – December 14, 1994
1) cash 2) purse 3) credit cards 4) checks 5) mall 6) money1

1Arguably the least exciting entry out of the whole lot so far. However, I am amused by the idea that I listed the word “money” considering that the topic is likely to have been something like listing words associated with money.


Sixth Grade Journal – December 14, 1994
If I could have one wish for the world it would be for people to have kinder hearts and more loving souls.2

2This is pretty much the sweetest thing I could have ever written. I hope you enjoy it. At the bottom of this entry, Mrs Robertson wrote, “Yes!” I should have noted that kinder hearts and more loving souls did not include forgiving her for her glibness and constant violations of my privacy.


Sixth Grade Journal – December 15, 1994
Today at school we are having our Christmas party.3

3Also a strong contender for least exciting entry thus far. Like this is ALP Journal-quality badness.


Sixth Grade Journal – December 16, 1994
1) Merry 2) Mess 3) Messy 4) Christmas 5) Mam4 6) Carrie5 7) Sat 8) Sun6 9) Matter 10) Mass 11) Christ7 12) Miss

13) Mist 14) Stem8 15) Yams9 16) Arrest 17) Tim 18) Carry 19) Sam 20) Yes 21) Am 22) Tea 23) Set 24) Chris 25) Car 26) Is 27) As 28) Master 29) Mister 30) Ram

4Technically, I think it’s spelled “ma’am.” For the record, my guess is that this topic is something like listing words than can be spelled from the letters in “Merry Christmas.”
5I don’t want to chide ten-year-old Guy too hard, but I’m not sure that names should count.
6I’ll be honest: when I first saw “Sat” and “Sun” on this list, I thought they were abbreviations for Saturday and Sunday and was going to deride my younger self for not including regular words. My brain has its fair share of misfires.
7I guess Christ should count even though it’s kind of a proper noun. I mean, he’s the reason for the season, unless you believe in the war on Christmas, in which case I would prefer it if you didn’t read this blog any more.
8I initially thought this said “Stern,” and this is why cursive is terrible and useless.
9I will say that it is somewhat remarkable that I only included one plural word in the whole list. I was just brimming with potential, no thanks to Mrs Robertson. Nevertheless, at the bottom of this entry, Mrs Robertson did draw a smiley face.


Sixth Grade Journal – January 3, 1995
1) Getting a Sega Genesis with 32X.10
2) Setting a Green Day CD.11
3) Getting a Calligraphy set.12

10Sadly, I got this. Since I’m sure you weren’t silly and unlucky enough to get a 32X, know that it was a terrible and useless game system. The Genesis, however, was and forever will be awesome.
11And I got it, too. I listened to my copy of Dookie (which I always pronounced like “cookie” instead of the way it’s apparently supposed to be pronounced) until it was scratched beyond recognition. “When I Come Around” was my favorite.
12I got this, too, but I don’t really remember getting it. As is common in my family, however, my mother recently found the set (which, as you math geniuses can tell, is now a gift from fifteen years ago) and gave it to me a second time. At the bottom of this entry, Mrs Robertson wrote, “Did you get any of these?” Seriously, this woman needs to quit trying to track my every move. She probably works for the CIA by now or something.

2 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued that your #1 entry for words that can be made from "Merry Christmas" is "Merry" but "Christmas" doesn't make it until #4. Were "mess" and "messy" that exciting?

    I did the the same as you on "Sat" and "Sun" and made a mental note to mock you for it...

    As for the wish, would you still wish that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I was going for word patterns. I mean "Christmas" is just as obvious as "Merry," but if I just move on then I might forget "mess" and "messy."

    As for the wish, I would definitely still wish it. And I might even consider including Mrs Robertson in on the deal.

    ReplyDelete