January 18, 2010

January 18 - Sixth Grade Bonanza (part two)

So my computer has been on the fritz for the last week, which means that I have to cart around pre-written updates and plead with others to let me use their Internet connection. It's a brutal life. But I'm thinking of you. Please enjoy.

Oh, and I realize that I originally entitled this update "January 15." See, I really had good intentions.


Sixth Grade Journal – December 9, 1994
A – angels
B – Bethlehem
C – cupid1
D – dancer2
E – elf
F – Feliz Navidad3
G – gifts4
H – heart
I – ice-skating
J – Jingle Bells
K – Kris Kringle5
L – love6
M – manger
N – no school7
O – ornament
P – Partridge in a Pear Tree
Q – questions for Santa8
R – reindeer
S – Saint Nicholas
T – trees9
U – under the mistletoe
V – Vixon10
W – White Christmas11
X – X mas
Y – yuletide12
Z – zamboni13

1Assuming that the goal here was to create a list of Christmas-themed words, I’m not quite sure what Cupid has to do with it. I mean, I know Christmas is a time for love and sharing and all that fun stuff, but isn’t Valentines’ Day sort of his gig?
2I’m pretty sure I’m referring to the reindeer here (even though I didn’t capitalize it) instead of just the idea of a dancer. I hope, at least.
3
Nothing wrong with a little multiculturalism. Nice touch, self.
4
It’s good to look out for number one.
5Next to this part, Mrs Robertson drew a little smiley face. Apparently my classmates struggled with this one.
6
How sweet. See, I told you Christmas is a time for love and sharing…
7Nevertheless, it’s always good to have your priorities in order.
8A little weak on the Q, I think. I mean it’s probably the toughest one on the list, but I think I played a little fast and loose with the rules here. What I’m really trying to say is that this would get voted down if we were playing Scattergories.
9I’m not sure how Christmas-specific "trees" are. I’m just saying.
10This is probably a misspelling of “Vixen” instead of a reference to some sort of futuristic robot reindeer.
11I capitalized both words, so this must refer to the Bing Crosby song. If so, why did I call it “I’m Dreaming Of A White Christmas” in an entry just days earlier? Mysteries abound!
12This one I’m particularly proud of. But no smiley face. Thanks for ruining my confidence, Mrs Robertson. Brutal!
13This, however, has a smiley face next to it even though zambonis have practically nothing to do with Christmas. At the bottom of this entry, Mrs Robertson also wrote, “Nice Job!” It doesn’t make up for the lack of a smiley face next to “yuletide.”

No comments:

Post a Comment