February 26, 2010

February 26 - Clearly Falling Behind

Third Grade Journal – February 17, 1992
Todays player of the day1 is David Robinson2. He is a Center for the San Antonio Spurs. His Number is 503.


1Sadly, today I don’t have the means to post the amazing drawing of David that accompanies this entry. If you picture the Karl Malone drawing you can get a pretty good idea of what it looks like, though.
2Did you know that David Robinson is one of four people in NBA history to record a quadruple double?
3There’s too much information! I’ll never be able to remember all of that!



Third Grade Journal – February 24, 1992
Today’s player of the day is Magic Johnson. He plays for Lakers but not any more. He has Aids4. But Forget about that5. He can dunk, layup and hookshot very good6. His number is 32.


4To be clear, I don’t think his HIV ever fully (or has ever fully) developed into AIDS. And when’s it’s written like that, it really just sounds like he has helpers instead of a disease. I’m just saying.
5Yes, let’s forget about all that. We’re here to talk about basketball!
6Leaving off passing is rather auspicious, seeing as how he was (and probably still is) better at passing than at any of those other things.



Sixth Grade Journal – February 6, 1995
My opinion on the best invention would probably have to be either people and animals (made by the great, almighty God!)7 or probably electricity made very strangely by Benjamin Franklin8.

7How cute and endearing. I mean, people and animals are pretty good. Maybe I was on to something there.
8Someone doesn’t know the difference between an invention and a discovery.



Sixth Grade Journal – February 20, 1995

1 – Frankfort Trip9
2 – COSI Trip10
3 – 4-H Day Camp
4 – Junior Achievement class11
5 – First Day at Hager
6 – Paramount Trips12
7 – Making 5th and 6th grade b-ball teams
8 – Being Hager Governor’s Cup Captain13
9 – Making Verity Governor’s Cup
10 – Spelling Bees14


9This seems to be a list of “favorite memories at Hager” or something like that. Frankfort trips were always special because it seemed awesome to be visiting the state capitol. When you get older and realize that Frankfort is a silly city with like 25,000 people, it seems less awesome.
10COSI is one of the greatest places on Earth. It is full of great examples of how science can be made fun if properly demonstrated. And it’s right across the street from the first Wendy’s.
11
I have no idea what this is. At all. Clearly not that memorable.

12I loved to going to the Paramount to see shows and plays when I was a kid. There was something I always used to do, however, that seems hilarious to me in retrospect but was probably very annoying at the time. When the crowd would clap, after ten or so seconds I would start shushing really loudly as if I thought that there had been enough congratulation. On with the show!
13That has a nice ring to it. Of course, this was after the retirement of Amar Shah, who was one of the most dominant forces in Ashland Governor’s Cup history.
14 I won the third grade spelling bee by spelling “khaki” and “poisonous” in the final round. You’ll note that I did not have fond memories of the Geography Bee, in which I was screwed (in the same year) by a question that claimed Africa was a larger continent that Asia. What a load of garbage.

2 comments:

  1. Haven't those geography bee people played Risk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess not. I'll never forget the outrage I felt when they tried to tell me that Asia was not the largest continent. Pretty brilliant.

    ReplyDelete