August 2, 2011

It's not even Christmas!!!!!

Eighth Grade Journal – December 13, 1996

FREE WRITE

(Complaining)


This Is Not A Personal Note To Any One Teacher, Because I Write In My Journal To Calm Myself Down1 And Not Go Off Like A Bomb.2 I Am Never The Only Person Talking, But Always The Only Person Called Down For It.3 Everyone (Including Students) Find It Fun To Pick On Me.4 I Have Been Called Down This Year More Times Than All Other Years Combined5…And It’s NOT EVEN CHRISTMAS!!!!! I Have Not Been That Bad Of A Student.



Special Bonus!!!6Nosferatu

NOSFERATU Critique


Nosferatu, a movie with many similarities to Bram Stoker’s Dracula,7 is a tale of love, heartache, and great danger. This silent horror film centers around a pair of newlyweds, who are broken up when the husband must go into the “Land of Demons” so that he may sell a house, conveniently right across the street from his, to the vampire Nosferatu.8 Of course, the husband is unsuspecting and has no idea of the grave danger he is about to encounter.


The acting in Nosferatu could from some aspects be called less than spectacular. A viewer cannot expect much from one playing the part of a vampire, especially a vampire with buck-teeth like Nosferatu9, to have much depth. Nosferatu, however, displayed the best skills for acting his character, and following his motivation, however simple it was. The bride was strictly for emotional complexity, and a target for the vampire.10 Her part was silly and overplayed, but what can you expect, it’s not like they can talk or anything.11


For the pivotal role the film played in the evolution of horror, this film has left a lasting impression on me.12 Though primitive compared to film techniques and technology today, Nosferatu is exciting and very enjoyable. The story draws the viewer in, and the acting makes the film a classic.


Guy’s Film Rating:13 *** ½ out of 5



1 – Sure buddy…that’s why you do it. It’s not because you are a young, budding master of all passive-aggressive techniques.

2 – I am consistently amazed by the number of things I wrote in these journals that would get me in unbelievably amounts of trouble if written today.

3 – Seriously bro, getting “called down?” What is this, a bad parody of the 1950’s? Ugh.

4 – This kind of annoying self-pity really gets in the way of your passive-aggressive training. Focus, buddy!

5 – Obviously my memory is not that reliable, but this seems pretty much true to me. I never got in trouble at all until I was in the fifth grade, and even then it was nothing compared to the hell my teachers put me through in middle school. They were not my biggest fans.

6 – Perhaps I should explain. Since I am practically out of journal entries (save for the “Annoyance” story you’ve been enjoying and the “Complaining” sections from eighth grade), I thought it would be worthwhile to share the movie reviews I wrote for the cinema class I took in high school. If you’re interested in movies or amused by my general silliness, I think you’re in for a treat.

7 – Just a coincidence, I’m sure. Also, I know you dig the combination italics and underline. Groundbreaking.

8 – I don’t want to be too hard on the writing of a high school kid, but I’ll give a dollar to the first person who can name all of the grotesque grammar errors in this sentence. I think you’re going to be counting for a while.

9 – I really am trying to follow the logic here. You can’t expect much from someone playing a vampire, but you definitely can’t expect much if the vampire has buck teeth? Yeah kid…that makes tons of sense.

10 – Way to be a sympathetic, understanding, critical viewer. This is the kind of mindset that movie studios try to cater to in this day and age.

11 – Yeah, those silent movies always have characters that are silly and overplayed. That’s practically the defining characteristic of the genre. Silent film = Silly film.

12 – I’ll give you a dollar if you can convincingly tell me that this sentence makes sense to you. You watch a film, and your innate understanding of where that film fits in cinematic history is what leaves a lasting impression on you? I have no words.

13 – If you want my advice (and I know you didn’t ask for it), I’d pay particular attention to the ratings I give to these films. There’s real bang for your buck there.

No comments:

Post a Comment